I work with universities, further education colleges, local authorities, adult learning organisations, private training providers and their partners to:
Evaluate initiatives and projects
Assess the impact of services
Understand demand for skills from learners and employers
Develop strategies and plans to address key issues
Recent example projects:
Kent Further Education (KFE):
- Supporting the three college groups in their development of a successful Skills Accelerator Strategic Development Fund proposal to DfE to develop collaboratively new Higher Technical Education services across Kent and Medway.
- Working with the Principals to formulate a ‘Kent Solution’ to the issues at former Hadlow Group (2019).
- Support with development of a Levelling Up Fund proposal to establish MargateDigital, a new digital learning hub in Margate, Kent.
- Research to inform T Level planning: analysis to inform what T Levels should be offered and where (2021).
- ‘Curriculum 2030’: labour market and stakeholder research to assess skills needs in the community and economy of East Kent, to inform long-term curriculum planning (2021).
- Research into the drivers of 16-19 recruitment (2020).
- Support with development of a Strategic Planning Background paper (2019).
- An assessment of Further Education opportunities in the landbased / food sector (2019).
- Research into employer issues and requirements in respect of extended work placements and T Levels (2018).
- Initial scoping study into a potential new education facility at a science park (2018).
- Research to inform a Higher Level Skills Strategy (2017).
- College community impact assessment (2013).
Canterbury Christ Church University
- Research and consultancy support to develop and implement a new Engineering and Design Hub. Work included the preparation of a successful £6.1m ‘Five Cases’ Green Book compliant Local Growth Fund Business Case to the South East Local Enterprise Partnership and ongoing project management support with early development and implementation (2015-2020).
- Research to scope Higher Education growth opportunities of relevance to West Kent (2020).
- Skills market research to inform a potential Institutes of Technology bid (2018).
- Employer Research in Support of the Engineering and Technology University Centre Feasibility Study (2015).
Kent County Council / Kent and Medway Economic Partnership
- Kent and Medway Workforce Skills Evidence Base (2021).
- Kent and Medway Workforce Skills Evidence Base (2015).
Morley College London
- ‘Taking Stock’: a review, through research with staff and students into the College’s experience of Covid-19, and key learning to inform future planning.
- Facilitation of Senior Leadership team strategy day (2020).
- Consultation on new five-year Strategic Plan (2020).
- Evaluation of the 2015-20 Strategic Plan (2020).
- Market research into adult learning demand to support the Morley College – Kensington and Chelsea College merger proposals (with SQW, 2019).
British Computer Society, the Chartered Institute for IT
- Development of a Monitoring and Evaluation Plan, with programme Theory of Change, and formative year one evaluation, of RITTech Get Ahead Get Recognised, a Gatsby-funded service to support students and providers of the new Digital T Levels being rolled out from 2020/21.
Locate in Kent
- Workforce skills demand and available workforce profiling for the Ashford International Studios development, Newtown Works, Ashford (2020 – 2021).
- Skills Specialist, enabling and supporting engagement and collaboration between inward investors, growing businesses and the education and skills system (2017 – 2020).
Kent and Medway Medical School
- Support with Local Growth Fund monitoring and reporting requirements (2020-2021).
- Impact and process evaluation of Local Growth Fund project (with SQW, 2020-21).
- Development of a successful £8m Local Growth Fund ‘Five Cases’ Business Case (with SQW, 2019).
The Tech Partnership
- Evaluation of the BEIS-funded Digital Business Certificate Pilot (2016).
- Learning review of practices which improve Computer Science graduate employability, building on the Tech Partnership and JP Morgan Chase Foundation’s Tech City Talent project in London (2017).
- Evaluation of the Tech Partnership’s Digital Skills Scotland project (funded by the JP Morgan Chase Foundation), which aims to bring local people closer to tech jobs in Glasgow and Edinburgh (2017).
WorldSkills UK and the Department of International Trade: International comparative research on professional and technical skills systems (2016).
Bromley College: Community Impact Assessment (2015)
Bolton College: Community Impact Assessment of Further and Adult Education (2015)
Learning and skills projects with a sustainability dimension have included an evaluation of the London Colleges’ Skills for Climate Change initiative and an assessment of environmental performance in the community impact assessment work for Bolton College.
Alongside my research and consultancy work, I also have some ‘skin in the game’ on learning and skills issues: I and a Governor at North Kent College and achieved the Award in Education and Training at City Lit in 2016. I do a small amount of teaching in the Adult and Community Learning sector, most recently (Spring 2018) for the charity Headway and the WEA, running a class for people recovering from brain injuries at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. I also ran short introductions to ecological gardening for the Medway-Swale Estuary Partnership and the Stream Walk Community Garden, Whitstable (both in 2019).
If you think I can be of help to you in your work, do get in touch!