I work with universities, further education colleges, local authorities, adult learning organisations, private training providers and their partners to:
Evaluate initiatives and projects
Assess the impact of services
Understand demand for skills from learners and employers
Develop strategies and plans to address key issues
Recent example projects include:
- Market research into business higher level skills needs and gaps for an Institutes of Technology bid by a university and specialist FE college;
- Demand and scoping research to inform plans for a potential new landbased skills and local food growing / processing project;
- Assessing demand and potential gaps for Higher Level Skills for an FE college;
- Conducting a learning review of practices which improve Computer Science graduate employability, building on the Tech Partnership and JP Morgan Chase Foundation’s Tech City Talent project in London;
- Working with the inward investment and business support agency Locate in Kent to research and prototype a new skills support service for companies, building on scoping work by the Department of International Trade. Now retained on an ongoing basis as Locate in Kent’s Skills Adviser;
- Evaluating the Tech Partnership’s Digital Skills Scotland project (funded by the JP Morgan Chase Foundation), which aims to bring local people closer to tech jobs in Glasgow and Edinburgh;
- Working with Canterbury Christ Church University to research and develop a new Engineering and Design Hub, including the preparation of a successful £6.1m ‘Five Cases’ Local Growth Fund Business Case. Now retained on an ongoing basis as Associate Project Manager, supporting development and implementation of the initiative;
- Case study development for Future Skills Dover, a local labour market intelligence report for Dover Business Forum;
- International comparative research on professional and technical skills systems for WorldSkills UK and the Department of International Trade;
- An evaluation of the BIS-funded Digital Business Certificate Pilot for the Tech Partnership;
- Impact assessments for East Kent College, Bromley College and Bolton College (FE and adult education offer);
- Market research into higher level skills demand for engineering and technology skills for Canterbury Christ Church University;
- A Workforce Skills Evidence Base for Kent and Medway Economic Partnership;
- An assessment of skills needs in high-tech clusters in South Oxfordshire.
Learning and skills projects with a sustainability dimension have included an evaluation of the London Colleges’ Skills for Climate Change initiative and an assessment of environmental performance in the work for Bolton College.
Alongside my research and consultancy work, I also have some ‘skin in the game’ on learning and skills issues: I achieved the Award in Education and Training at City Lit in 2016, and now do a small amount of teaching in the Adult and Community Learning sector.
If you think I can be of help to you in your work, do get in touch!