I work with universities, further education colleges, adult learning organisations, private training providers and their partners to:
Evaluate initiatives and projects
Assess the impact of services
Understand demand for skills from learners and employers
Develop strategies and plans to address key issues
Recent example projects include:
- Conducting a learning review of practices which might improve Computer Science graduate employability, building on the Tech Partnership and JP Morgan Chase Foundation’s Tech City Talent project in London;
- Working with the inward investment agency Locate in Kent, and involving FE, HE, training companies and local authorities, to research and prototype a new skills support service for investors, building on scoping work by the Department of International Trade;
- Evaluating the Tech Partnership’s Digital Skills Scotland project (funded by the JP Morgan Chase Foundation), which aims to bring local people closer to tech jobs in Glasgow and Edinburgh;
- Working with Canterbury Christ Church University to research and develop a new Engineering and Design Hub, including the preparation of a successful £6m ‘Five Cases’ Local Growth Fund Business Case;
- Local labour market intelligence research and case study development for Dover Business Forum;
- International comparative research on professional and technical skills systems for WorldSkills UK and the Department of International Trade;
- An evaluation of the BIS-funded Digital Business Certificate Pilot for the Tech Partnership;
- Impact assessments for East Kent College, Bromley College and Bolton College (FE and adult education offer);
- Market research into higher level skills demand for engineering and technology skills for Canterbury Christ Church University;
- A Workforce Skills Evidence Base for Kent and Medway Economic Partnership;
- A strategic review of the Department of Post-Compulsory Education at a major university; and
- An assessment of skills needs in high-tech clusters in South Oxfordshire.
I also do a small amount of teaching in the FE and adult / community learning sectors. I hope this will improve my appreciation of the learning practitioner perspective, and increase my understanding of the needs of learners.
Learning and skills projects with a sustainability dimension have included an evaluation of the London Colleges’ Skills for Climate Change initiative and an assessment of environmental performance in the work for Bolton College.
If you think I can be of help to you in your work, do get in touch!